Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Empire State of Mind

Hey, did I tell you about the time I turned 21?

Ah, it was a simpler time...two weeks ago...

For the third year running, I spent my birthday in Noo Yawk Sitty. Actually, when I think about it, my birthday festivities started over 3 months ago. My sister surprised my brother and I with plane tickets to New York because 1. She's BAAAAALLLLLIIIIINNNN' and 2. She wants a reason to do tourist things without looking like a crazy lady.

Now, as much as I would love to describe my entire trip, I have a biology deadline that is going to expire in...4 minutes ago. Shit.

Ok, then that frees up a little time. I'll give ya'll the SportsCenter version (highlights for those of you televisionally challenged).

Monday, March 29:
-Arrive in New York at 10 pm

People at the Frontier Airlines front desk =


Tuesday, March 30:
-Rain. That's about it. Oh, and we got drunk by accident. Wtf?
-Oh! And visited the BBC America offices which used to be the Playboy Offices. When you walk in the revolving door, there's a statue of a naked lady. Hard to explain. Hilarious to experience.

Shout out to all of my sister's wonderful co-workers! Thank you for letting me bring my smelly rain boots into your office. Who doesn't love the smell of wet rubber?

Wednesday, March 31:
-Paolo arrives and we go to dinner at the hipster nest where the hipster queen lays her hipster eggs. There was an abundance of Ray Ban glasses and irony. Soooooo ironic. Food was legit though. Worth the hour and a half wait. Mind you, an hour and a half surrounded by hipsters and a man with a pony tail whom my brother appropriately nicknamed "Mulan" is equal to about 6 years.

Thursday, April 1:
-Visited the Intrepid and saw some sick planes. Here are my brother and sister touching things they're not supposed to:



Friday, April 2:
-MY BIRTDAY! So, this is the most important day. Obvs.
-Started the day off with a helicopter ride. THAT'S RIGHT. A helicopter ride. Ch-ch-check it out.



-Then we went to the Tim Burton exhibit at the MoMa. LEGIT.



-Just when you think the fun was over...




LION KING ON BROADWAY. Elephants, giraffes, Rafiki. It all happened.

-Then we ended the night at Brooklyn Bowl, a bar/concert venue/bowling alley. Our friends all gathered for bowling, drinks and something called disco fries. Yeah, I don't know.



I bowled a 152 *flex* NBD.

Saturday, April 3:
-Took a train to Flushing to watch Jake cross the finish line. I still regret not bringing the cow bell....
-Reloaded Jake's carbs with some Dim Sum. At one point, we had to download the dim sum app on the iPhone. We don't mess around.
-After a failed attempt at a power nap, we were off to Accomplice. Now, Accomplice said it was coming to San Francisco soon so I won't give up any details. Pretty much, it's a scavenger hunt in the city. There are actors planted all over, but it's the group's job to identify who's an actor and who isn't. So awesome.

We had to give a frog to a construction worker who put it in a lunch box behind some garbage cans. Yes.

Sunday, April 4:
-Fly back to Cali...Well, try anyways.

"We will be departing at 12:35 pm."

2 minutes later...

"New departure time is 1:40 pm."

1/2 hour later..

"We will be departing at 1 pm."

Half of the passengers have boarded, people still waiting to board at the gate...

"Everyone please stop boarding. We will be departing at 3:30 pm."

Literally RIGHT AFTER the last person gets off the plane and back in the waiting area..

"Oh, nevermind. We're leaving now."

New Slogan: "Frontier Air. Yeah, we don't really know either."

Overall, it was OBVS a fantastic trip and it was all thanks to my sister, Superwoman. She somehow got work done while still being a tourist with us. I don't think there is anyway I could repay her for making my 21st birthday so awesome. I wonder if you can buy sleep. I think I remember her saying she was running low...

No comments:

Post a Comment