Wednesday, June 15, 2011

C(ollege).R.E.A.M.


^^ This shirt comes custom made with your resumè on the back. Lolz.


Everyone--

Something has happened. Something that seemed to be less likely than the rapture and just short of pigs flying.

Angeli M. Picardo has a job.

The transition from pong table to desk may not have been anticipated, but it's actually been pretty fantastic. I'm learning a lot of new things while polishing some of the skills I already had. I write for NerdWallet, a credit card comparison web site where you can find a credit card tailored to your specific needs. They also offer some great advice on a number of personal finance topics via their blog.

Plug? What plug?



I spend my day rummaging around personal finance blogs, doing research on anything and everything money related. Switching from funny cats to rewards credit cards makes my Google search history look very, very different. Not better. Just different.

I know several new graduates who are already missing the blissful irresponsibility that is, for one reason or another, totally acceptable in college. I've decided that the only difference people see between being a college student and being an adult is that element of irresponsibility.

I understand that people love the idea of living a life with virtually no consequences, but now that I've somewhat worked my way into the workforce, I don't really understand why people think acting a fool is the shit and two pennies.

Of course, in college, we don't need to really worry about bills, mortgages, yada yada, but just because we need to be responsible from 9-5 doesn't mean we can't be a little reckless from time to time. And the same goes for college--we don't need to act like complete ass-tards to fully "enjoy" the college experience.

I recently got a super sweet message from my friend and old next-door neighbor, Joe, saying that he wrote about us Mancave Girls in one of his essays. His very kind words show that having fun doesn't mean being fucking stupid. Check it out:

" I generally hate parties, but tossing back a few beers with [my neighbors] was more like sipping the nectar of social community than 'getting drunk'- which, save a few incidents, I never succumbed to, and even if I ended up in an unfortunate state, their support was unending and infinitely valuable to me. They never pressured me to change anything about myself, and overall, I cherish every moment I spent with them. Considering that drinking is near inevitable in a college setting, I was incredibly lucky to meet such incredible girls to do so with in a wholly positive manner."

Super nice, right?

"The nectar of social community"

That's the real difference between college and adulthood. Being social gets more difficult and awkward when we leave college not because we're in a new environment, but because we start to replace fun with responsibility. BUT -- it doesn't have to be this way.

In college, making friends is easy because you can walk into a frat house, grab a beer and dive right into the belly of the social beast. But, really, I can't remember the last time I left a frat house with anything but shame and other people's sweat. Just because I'm handed social interaction on a silver platter doesn't mean it's gonna be quality.

It's just about balance. There's no need to lose your shit in college and you don't need to go shopping for a new stick to put up your butt right after graduation.

I bring these things up not because graduation is slowly creeping up on me, but because I feel like drawing a distinct line between being a kid and being an adult makes for really lame people. And I don't want to be surrounded by lame people.

Party not just responsibly, but reasonably in college, and bring some of that "balls-to-the-wall-I-don't-give-a-fuhhh" mentality (that all of us college students seem to have) to the workplace after graduation.


^^jazzed.

Why do companies like young college students so much?

Because we finna get paid.

How do you get paid?

Working hard and going the extra mile.

Ever gotten yourself crazy amped before taking a shot when you know that the last thing you need in the world is another shot? Take that energy and DGAF/Let'sMuhFukkinDoDisShit attitude and apply it to your work.

First you get the money, then you get the bitches.

I think one of my favorite things about college is that I'm surrounded by people who can party hard, but have their shit together. For example:

This girl was DONEZO 11 minutes into being 21 years old, but she currently works at the White House.



The first thing this guy did in 2011 was throw up THE WORLD, but he's working on his master's degree.



This girl is a Pac-10 rowing champion, AND she's a ninja.



These people go hard in anything and everything they do. Only thing that changes is if they got a pen or a shot glass (or ninja stick) in hand.

I feel like my last couple of posts have been a little preachy and me just dishing out common knowledge, but I'm feeling inspired these days. I definitely feel like I've been improving myself and generally becoming better lately, but I don't feel like I'm "turning into an adult."

I must be doing something right.

Getting older doesn't suck. Would you ever want to be 13 again? No, of course not. That was horrible. Just so ugly and horrible.

It'll only get better from here, but only if you want it to. Working toward a degree or a paycheck, surrounding a keg or a watercooler, fun knows no boundaries.

"Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul." --S. Ullman

No comments:

Post a Comment